Project #1 in Mrs. Martin's Advanced Social Studies:
3d Map of the United States
What's the first thing that comes to mind...
Salt Dough, of course!
Here are the instructions:
1. Search for and print an outline of the United States
(don't forget to include Alaska and Hawaii).
2. Take the copy to a print shop. (we went to Staples)
and enlarge to required size. (A local pizza place donated a
large pizza box but we decided to use the backside of a wooden
3. Have your student color the entire BACKSIDE of the map copy
with a soft - medium charcoal pencil. Tape the copy, charcoal
side down, on the substrate. (pizza box, wooden canvas, etc.)
4. Draw around the perimeter lines of the map using a pen and
medium pressure. Remove the copy and you will be left with a
charcoal line of the United States. (this is a form of print
6. Press the dough into the map outline. Allow to dry at least
7. Paint a base coat using gesso.
8. Follow class instructions to finish the project.